Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: ( ? )

>>> "Think I'll simply drop out of further discussions on the subject" <<<

It is a pity unclestu because I feel you are quite close to getting to the quite revolutionary point (in audio terms) which we reached over 25 years ago. But, I feel it will only happen when you do some experiment which you CANNOT explain in any of the conventional ways you have been doing so far. Only when it actually happens to you will you begin to realise that "there is something else going on" which cannot be explained from within conventional electronic or acoustic theories - no matter how much one stretches, pulls, pushes, squeezes them to try to make sense of what you are hearing.

I have seen your latest responses on Tweakers Asylum re 'degaussing'.

Quote from your response in Tweakers Asylum section.
>>> "Yeah, I know it sounds pretty bizarre, but at least I am not claiming 'morphic' resonances here. In my experiences, magnetism is a an often overlooked factor in many electronics: not simply from an actual magnet but also by induction. Small field build up can affect the significantly larger fields, like a cartridge. If you have a powerful enough degausser, try degaussing a TT platter (I hear positive effects from doing it to an LP-12 aluminum platter and even to VPI acrylic platters !)." <<<

Followed by cheap-Jack's response :-
>>> "So to claim applying a strong magnetic field by using a demagnetizer on a PVC record is a parapsychological effect, like unfounded sonic improvment by some rainbow films & by freezing a picture, & the likes." <<<

The response by cheap-Jack to your experiences is similar to the responses we get to our experiences i.e it MUST be parapsychological. I, you (and many others) know that your experience (and ours) is NOT parapsychological - the point where I differ from you is not regarding your observations and experiences but regarding the explanations as to why.

If you have tried 'treating' (by degaussing) the aluminium platter of the LP-12 and gained an improvement in the sound I think you would find that this is a similar improvement we (and others) gain from 'treating' the platter of the LP-12 (but we do NOT do it by degaussing). Try the experiment of degaussing the aluminium platter of a PASSIVE LP-12 - just sitting passively on a shelf (not connected into the AC supply or to the audio system) and THEN explain any positive effects in the sound you gain !!!

Ditto with the acrylic platter. Try the experiment of degaussing the acrylic platter of a PASSIVE turntable - just sitting passively on a shelf (not connected into the AC supply or to the audio system) and THEN explain any positive effects in the sound you gain !!

Your conventional explanation to do with degaussing a vinyl record seems to be to do with 'having an effect on the stylus/cartridge' and therefore on the audio signal ----------->
>>> "Since they claim there is momentary melting when the stylus runs through the vinyl: that, coupled with the strong magnetic field of the cartridge will, I suspect, slowly reorient the polar molecules over time and repeated play. Applying a degausser will partially return the vinyl to an amorphous state, instead of having a magnetic orientation which can create induction." <<<

I.e 'something affecting the audio signal'. But, how would you explain 'something affecting the audio signal' when there is NO audio signal being picked up by a passive stylus/cartridge/turntable ?

20 years ago we were demonstrating 'treating' passive turntable platters (aluminium/acrylic/glass/epoxy type/you name it) on turntables just sitting passively on a shelf and improving the sound to the amazement of all concerned - retailers, reviewers, manufacturers, distributors.

Your reply to kenster was also quite illuminating !!
>>> "Try using the demagnetizer with the record in the sleeve or even in the jacket. The AC field will reach the vinyl. I normally use a hand held Geneva which claims to have a strength of 2800 gauss, the strongest (they claim) for a hand held unit." <<<

I would suggest you try another PASSIVE experiment. Try the experiment of taking the vinyl record OUT of it's jacket and demagnetising only the jacket cover, then listen and you will experience an improvement in the sound by merely having demagnetised the vinyl's jacket cover !!!!!!! Explain THAT !!

I like your reply to cheap-Jack regarding him having a negative experience with such as the demagnetising procedure :-
>>> "Obviously your experience was negative. My experiences have not been negative at all, and others who have tried it report similar results to mine. I will not speculate as to why your experience was so negative," <<<

I think I would like to copy that response as my general reply to everyone who asks ME why they are not able to hear what we and many others can hear.

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.