Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: The product names, "Cream Electret" and "Sol Electret" imply something via their use of the word "electret."

>>Electret (formed of elektr- from "electricity" and -et from "magnet") is a dielectric material that has a quasi-permanent electric charge or dipole polarisation. An electret generates internal and external electric fields, and is the electrostatic equivalent of a permanent magnet.<<

I'll forward this to Peter and see if he can make any sense of it. ;-)

>>The use of the term "electret" in the product name does imply some sort of magnetic or electrical effect.<<

I agree, it does. However, that doesn't mean you're correct about that. You're only speculating.

>>I find that interesting, because there are so many people who believe in demagnetizing discs or removing electric charge - and can hear the benefits - yet this product, by definition, implies the "addition" of magnetic material or electrical charge.<<

I agree. However, "implies" doesn't mean it does. It only means that's how you interpret something, no matter how justified you think you are in interpreting it that way. When you say "By definition", you mean by -your- definition. Electrets may have zip all to do with this cream, just as "Olay" is not an ingredient in "Oil of Olay". Or, it may simply mean the cream had such treatments. Following purely Beltist principles, there is an expectation that treated objects (ie. cream) can transfer most if not all their treatments on to other objects. That's the idea behind all of Belt's products.

>>Perhaps the product is meant to take advantage of some sort of selective "magnetization" or "addition of electric charge" to what it's applied to, but this seems counter to the goals of other products.<<

Indeed. Magnetization can be harmful, or it can be beneficial. It all depends on how you use it and how much you understand of its effects.

>>You'd think that users would be warned not to demagnetize or "destatic" items in a system where this cream has been used to add the very effect that our procedures are meant to remove.<<

Again, you're going beyond speculation here and assuming your speculations are correct. Not a wise thing to do, if you're even pretending to be a truth-seeker. Especially if you have done no research at all on the product you're speculating upon. There are warnings about the product from the manufacturer. They are however, of a different nature.....

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/cream/cream.html

>>On the fun side, I must quote you...
"Who knows what fingerprint oils may do to your sound....."
Are you rejecting that without trying it?
That doesn't seem like you.
Perhaps that is a great idea and you're missing out!<<

>>*I'm purely goofing off, but I am a little satisfied to see you reject something out of hand. We may make a skeptic out of you yet!<<

Not today, you won't! I was not rejecting or accepting anything above, since I made no conclusion as to whether the fingerprints on a CD (label side of course) can harm (or improve) sound (or do nothing, of course). I was merely speculating on the possibility that of the two possibilities, "harm" is one of them, and thus it may harm sound just to have fingerprint oils on the CD. This is an educated guess, based on the fact that I have not deliberately placed anything on a CD, that did not change the sound (and usually, for the worse). Hence if I had to guess, I'd guess that if this changes the sound, it will be for the worse. But I would not -conclude- anything without trying it. However, I'm unlikely to try this idea, because it's not an interesting one to me. (Let's say it does change the sound, better or worse. It's very difficult for me to control how many fingerprints will end up on a disc, so not a very practical idea, even if it does do something).

"silence tells me secretly, everything..."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The product names, "Cream Electret" and "Sol Electret" imply something via their use of the word "electret." - Posy Rorer 12:19:54 07/25/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.