Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

I do believe

your speculation may be a source of some of the CD woes (not necessarily for the cream, since some report wiping off of the excess, but interesting, non the less ). For a number of years now I have been adding ferrofluid to dampen the laser focusing mechanism in the CD/DVD players' head assembly.

While I do not recommend an arbitrary addition of the ferrofluid (I have had issues caused by a little overenthusiastic addition and improper placement ), the stabilizing of the focus circuit seems to indicate that mechanical dampening and intensification of the motor fields yields a significant improvement in clarity and resolution. While I use ferrofluid, another modifier I spoke to simply added silicon and reported a nice improvement in sound. I am a bit hesitant to use simple silicon as there is nothing to retain the fluid in situ. For those adventurous enough, I add ferrofluid to the motor coil assembly.

BTW, when searching for ferrofluid, I called what is now Ferrofluidics and told the salesman there about my observations. I notice they now recommend the same on their website.

The other audible factor is the EMI field created by the spin motor. I suspect that that fluctuating field affects the 'jitter' of the data from the laser assembly itself, especially considering the motor spins at 600 to 1200 rpm and most motors are two or three pole affairs.

In order to limit the field of the motor, taking inspiration from the VPI brick, I place a large toroid centered over the spin motor. You could use a dumb bell weight or even large steel washers to the same effect. It certainly increases detail. Even on top of a steel chassis, it still has some audible effect.

While placement on top of the chassis is some benefit, placement closer to the actual motor is even more beneficial. Going inside the chassis, I often place the ferrite cores directly upon the bridge which holds the clamping mechanism (not all transports have such a design: the Sony mechanism, the later Philips, the Marantz and the Esoteric use that particular design). Using double stick tape (Scotch VHB) has been very stable for long term use.

Now the magnetic induction will create a small current flow through the magnetically permeable ferrite. I normally cover it with copper tape and then ground the copper for further improvement in sound (a 'faster' quality, more dynamic).

Any way, some food for thought. I ought to look a bit more at the servo circuitry for the laser focus mechanism, but the current SMD devices and my need for reading glasses are great discouragements. Plus I notice many are chip based designs.

Stu

Edits: 07/24/07 07/24/07

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.