Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Hand Cream and static.

>>Just to say I'm open minded on the pwb thing ...some things have worked for me and others have not. All I will say is that if the pwb creams work half as well as the "hand cream tweak" then they should be a good investment. <<

PWB's "Cream Electret" is -far- more effective than hand lotion (even though, IMO, both work on the same principle). AFAIC, given the accessible price and how little you need for it to be effective, it's one of the best investments you can make in audio today. (BTW US: it does not contain any ingredients harmful to CDs. People have been using it for many years on their CDs).

>>I've only treated on cd to prove the effect..the idea was passed on to me by a freind. Its relatively messy and makes the cd hard to handle ...think off trying to put an eel into your cd draw !<<

That's because you're not using it as I advised. Mine are not messy at all, and I can barely tell, if at all, that there was anything applied to the disc.

To address UncleStu and Enophile's concerns: I have placed my treated CDs in a bag as advised by Enophile, it's been a few days, absolutely no difference. They work fine and as I said, I (still) can't really tell there was anything applied.

BTW, you should always handle your CDs by the edge. Who knows what fingerprint oils may do to your sound.....

>>As to the static explanation...its possible but I feel theres more going on than that. Such a fundamental alteration of the sound by the aplication of a lipid based product seems odd in the extreme.

May be those who propund the static idea could test a cd with a"gold leaf electroscope"<<

Again, those who propose the static idea do not have to buy a "gold leaf electroscope" (or rather, try to steal one from a museum, since these things came out in the 18th century...), let alone know how to operate one. They simply have to follow the simple steps that I advised! In seconds and at no cost to you, you will be able to tell whether the effect is due to static or, as I have stated, Beltism.

>>I'm more inclined [though I have no evidence] to think is more likely a molecular force ...van de waals forces ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Waals_force

Though again why this would be affect cd play back is beyond me.<<

Wayyyy off. It's Beltism.

>>Remember I only posted this as I was able to hear an effect, I don't pretend to have any answers.<<

Do the test, you'll have the answers.

"silence tells me secretly, everything..."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.