Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: LeCleach

Thank you for your thoughtful and illuminating post. There is a lot in there for me to ponder and digest.

I understand your comments wrt the resistance/reactance variations throughout the horn's range and I know I would ideally like to keep it small and as consistent wrt frequency within the range as possible. But, my old Klipschorns must have pretty poor phase performance near the 400Hz xover, yet experimenting with digital xovers, I didn't hear enough difference with them to make them worthwhile to add into the signal chain. Your later comments about your 320Hz flare and the 2001's was interesting with you prefering the performance of this combination sonically even though theoretically it's performance should have been worse. Before I posted I'd been thinking of using a 320Hz flare based upon the success of another builder with the BMS 4590, using it successfully down to 300Hz.

One of the previous flares I experimented with, the Yuichi Arai 290 hypex, is very good, but I have wondered if it's possible to do better and that's why I was looking at your designs and the tractrix. Intuitively I like the idea of the flare extending to 180* or more to limit the amount of energy that can make it's way back into the flare from the abrupt transition at the end.

I think it might be time to cut up some wood and experiment with all 3 designs and make an informed decision based upon hearing and measuring. The designs I like least can always be used in the 'rears' as my system also does HT duty, but is being optimised for music, with movies as a bonus.
I have just been offered a position in another state and will be moving (hence my slow response) very soon. A friend nearby where I will be living also has better measuring gear than me too.

Thanks again for taking the time to make such a detailed and considered response. Once I have something made, I'll set up the pictures and measurements on my site and email the URL.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: LeCleach - Torana 10:36:50 02/27/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.