Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: TW Horn vs. Onken

I don't know what you are referring to with "TW horn." My main speakers are in an Onken cabinet (a form of bass reflex with slotted opening on the front sides of the drivers). The designer called it a "mini" onken because it is substantially smaller than a conventional onken cabinet for the driver complement of the speaker. Each channel as two alnico magnet 12" woofers with pleated paper surrounds (one on top of the other). The woofers hardly move at all when they operate. To me, the speaker is only "mini" in comparison to other speakers I've seen, including other onken speakers. The bass cabinet is exactly two feet wide, about 30" tall and close to two feet deep.

The midrange and tweeter sit on top of the woofer cabinet. The midrange is a Western Electric 713b compression driver feeding a Western Electric 12025 sectoral horn. The tweeter is a Fostex bullet tweeter.

I like the sound of this system a lot--it is very dynamic and lively, reasonably well balanced, and presents the music with suitably large scale. It does not, however, do very deep bass, twin 12" drivers notwithstanding.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: TW Horn vs. Onken - Larry I 08:46:15 08/03/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.