Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Jubilees for the curve above

I bought the Hood 1969 Class A about 6 years ago, which sounded very good, which got me into an Aleph J clone "space heater" amp. That became my benchmark.

My first chip amps, which I still use for driver testing, were the Sonic Impact that can run on 8 AA batteries. I think the company was bought out by Parts Express, so now it's a Dayton product which went from silver plastic to black plastic. It weighs less than an empty coffee cup and it blows people's minds when I tell them it's a POWER Amp! I use a Radio Shack 12V/1 amp. wall wart as a power supply.

Took the Sonic Impact to Klipsch Corp. HQ in Indianapolis where one of the engineers tested it and concluded that is was a very good 6 Watt amp and said: "Too bad Paul Klipsch didn't live to see this." In 2007, I sold my Khorns by using it, on batteries, to demo them with a Sony CD Walkman as a source. The guy was blown away by the fact that we could play so clean with acoustic bass demo on flea power output and batteries!

About 7 years ago, I read about Class D amps from Hypex and downloaded Bruno Putzey's White Paper about it. "Neither dirt nor fairy dust" sold my on trying the kits, which I put together (no soldering) in 1.5 hours flat.

After doing A/B listening of the Hypex NC-400 monoblocs vs. the Aleph J, I cut the Aleph J loose and I've been a class D fan ever since. The NC-400 is a laboratory grade amplifier whose distortion is so low, they had to invent new instruments to measure it. So now I get Class A sound, without every worrying about "clipping" at any "stupid loud" volume at home, humans can stand without their ears bleeding.

I created a very popular Mod by porting 40 year old Klipsch Heresy Boxes, adding a high BL driver, Dave Ault's sMAHL lenses with B&C DE-120 drivers and called is a "Super Heresy." One local "Klipsch Head" turned me on to the Texas Instruments TPA-3255 Evaluation Boards when they were on sale at 1/2 off and I've been a fan ever since.

Currently I'm using a bunch of the ones based on the 3116 TI chips for my surround channels (30 W/ch). Keep in mind that all my 11 Atmos speakers are 100 db sensitive so pretty much ALL of them operate below the "First Watt" that Nelson Pass talks about. The Hypex is on the R and L channel when I listen to 2 ch. music and not 11 ch. movies at the touch of a button using the same subwoofers.

My Danley R and L SH-50 speakers are in corners and actually have too much bass, so the YPAO room EQ knocks it down for even lower IM distortion. Amazing.

Edits: 01/11/22 01/11/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Jubilees for the curve above - claudej1@aol.com 04:37:30 01/11/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.