Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: A7 Impedance sweep BS

Who cares about an impedance sweep? This "jasper" (I'm a totally transparent former Audio Engineering Society Member, and not opaque as you suggest) only care about the Sound of Music, after proper Acoustic Measurements, since all modern SS amplifiers don't care about impedance like single ended valves do. I got the "tube thing" out of my system in my 20's and 30's. I had Dynaco, Scott, McIntosh, HK Citation II, Marantz, etc. When I met Saul Marantz in 1976, he told me to use SS on woofers and tubes on the high end only. But when amps got better after Matti Otala's discoveries, tubes and their fussiness were not worth it to me so out they went.

I bought Altec 500 Hz. Metal horns With Altec networks when I was 18 to put on top of EV Eliminator bass horns with SRO woofers. Got another pair to do a 3 way bass reflex (adding an EV 350 tweeter to get cymbals to sound right) and I designed and built huge reflex boxes for the Altec woofers that were flat to 37 Hz. I also wound my own chokes out of heavy gauge wire and used film capacitors. They sounded better than the A7's I heard in my local theater with their ANEMIC bass response below the horn's cutoff portion. After all, a factory A7's bass section is a Short Horn (very good to maybe 120 Hz. so it's really Midbass) with a bass reflex portion that is as weak in it's output as the top end of the 500 Hz. horn (which was basically a Metal Copy of Paul Klipsch's K5J horn from the 40's). That being said, the A7 can be modified to sound pretty darn good with a subwoofer and super tweeter, or doing a better Balancing Network like this guy did:

http://www.vtaf.com/altec-a7-voice-of-theatre-speakers.html#/

Edits: 01/10/22 01/10/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.