Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: What about the bad things :?) .

I'm not sure what "properly" means. For me it's as flat as possible using transducers and horns that are NOT flat. If there's a 1 db "wiggle" within a driver's raw magnitude/frequency response with it's band, a horn will likely make it a 4 db "wiggle" while narrowing the frequency band while gaining sensitivity and lower Intermodulation distortion and great "micro detail." Basically, the Salad Bowl has a curve that looks like the top of a bowling ball, and using First Order makes the overlap more critical than you think.

Some people take a route they deem to be "purist" analog (passive or active" claiming that it sounds better, while I'm of the Hybrid variety, not caring how it's achieved.

You are welcome to hear it when I'm satisfied with my version of it which includes voice coil alignment between the Hypex Bass Horn and the Salad Bowl Driver. All else is taken care of by my sweet spot, single microphone closed loop digital feedback method known as Room Correction as the final tweak. BUT I must first get it to sound good enough with just single choke and single capacitors like Bruce did.

You can Email me, so I can have your Email in my directory. It's also my user name. I should be ready after Xmas, so make an appointment later if you like. I can accommodate easily since I'm semi retired. Bring your test music as I can play CD's, DVD's, SACD's, USB drives, etc. basically anything but Vinyl (I still own 1,000 LPs I never play. I'm almost a Digital Purist that way, but it's the HORNS we care about.

They are impressive sounding right now, but I still want to tweak them up a bit more. I just tested my 3rd JBL 2220. with a Fourth one still on the UPS truck. May the best pair win, then I will tweak the crossover around it since I'm going from a 4 ohm Eminence driver to an 8 and will have to add a choke and even split it into 2 amplifiers if there's a sensitivity difference, which is easy to do with Y connects at the AMP input.

I also want to use a 1969 Class A amp to compare to the TI Chip amps I'm using, which are amazing in their own right and much cheaper than other offerings.

My Laboratory Reference Amplifiers are Hypex NC-400 monoblocks on Danley SH-50's and TH-50 subs upstairs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.