Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Anyone else know the Dr Edgar ?

Tom

I remember one of the CHC meets when Bruce was the guest of honor. At one point we were hanging out in Alfredo's kitchen and PWK stories were being told. Anyone who has ever met PWK, even only briefly, has had a story to tell, but Bruce had the best stories as he had spent quite some time with him. He told about when he first met Klipsch at an audio show. He stepped up to him and introduced himself, and at that point PWK said "Young man, you are about to lose your badge!" and he pointed out that the pin on Bruce's ID badge was loose and the badge could fall off, and he said "That happened to me once in Germany". He then ushered Bruce back over to the entrance desk and insisted that they give him a new badge. He had the demeanor of a gruff comedian, but there was always the mind of an engineer lurking underneath. We later found out the next day that PWK had died.

When it was announced that Bruce and his Titan horns would be at the '02 Midwest Audio Fest in Lima Ohio, then this became the go-to event of the year. There was a home theater demo in the room just off the lobby of the hotel next to the exhibition center, and us CHC guys would rent that room the next year. They had a 100" projection TV and sound with a big sub woofer, quite state of the art back then. At one point they were playing a demo of a video shot in one of the plains states of an approaching electrical storm. You would see the flash of the lightening in the distance, and a few seconds later the rumble of the thunder would catch up and it was very impressive. In the hall connecting the hotel to the exhibition center was "battleship row" where John Wolff had his Hartsfield replicas, with Bruce's Titans next door. At one point Bruce put on a CD and there was a loud Boom! It was a recording of a lightening strike, and it just didn't sound impressive, it sounded utterly real! You could actually feel the shock wave through the folding chairs in the room! I told Bruce that he should click a flash camera just before the demo just to enhance the effect. I later brought in my fave bass test CD: Stravinsky's Pictures at an Exhibition by Jean Guillou at the pipe organ. I had brought this CD to several audio shows and I thought that it never sounded as good on anything else as it did on The Titan rig with the Seismic sub, but Bruce said "I dunno, it sounds a little loose". Some time later I ran into Bruce in another room and he said "You might want to bring that back Paul, we found out that we had the sub wired incorrectly". Even with the sub mis-wired it sounded better than a $100,000 Infinity Reference System I heard it on once!

Back in the day (pre-internet) information about horn loudspeakers was hard to come by, and you had to rely on an article about horns maybe once a year in Speaker Builder by Bruce. Nowadays it's almost gone the other way with almost too much information on the web. Bruce found out early on that one of his most important tasks was to correct misunderstandings about horns, and he dedicated himself to this at every presentation. He was a Grand Gentleman!

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.