Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Horn Drivers & Phragms - Alternatives to Altec?

in my opinion better to bite the bullet and pick up altec drivers for altec horns. if you want to save money, you will end up spending more by mixing and matching. you will probably find out that many drivers are not suitable for a number of different reasons. and the modern drivers are difficult to re-sell. dont know why but they are.

the 1" jbk ferrite drivers(eg 2425 ) are very good and undervalued. not sure if they have the 2-hole configuretion but if they do, they could be a sensible substitute (sound-wise) for an altec 1" driver. i have not tried or seen a 1" EV driver. but all EV drivers are very undervalued now. if you can find a 1" EV you might get lucky. ditto Emilar.

the modern driverss like radian, b&c are very good. possibly better than refurbed altec drivers. but they have a different sound -- in general, more crystalline, more bright, if you will. in general, they wont offer a big price savings. also the modern drivers (in general) seem to be designed (bms is an exception) for rapidly flaring horns like le cleach. so you might not get the match between driver and horn at throat. diyaudio has a post that compares different exit angles of drivers.

the only modern driver that i have heard that might work (sound-wise) as a substitute for altec is bms. its a fine-sounding driver that occupies the middle ground between vintage and modern sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.