Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Horn Drivers & Phragms - Alternatives to Altec?

Hey gang,
I have cobbled together some Altec "Valencias" with 846B xos, 802-8D drivers, 811B horns, and some JBL 15" in 846b cabs. Acquired most compoents

They sound pretty good as is, but I suspect i need new diaphragms, and may want to swap out the horn driver as it's too big for my cabinet (had to fabricate a baffle/shim, so the horn is protruding even more). Better frequency extension would be nice too. (audible and measured uneven/rolled off response)

GPA/Altec prices for phragms and drivers are crazy. Does anyone have experience with alternatives like Radian and other brands like those found on Parts Express website? Are they a big step down in sound quality from Altec, or is there just a vintage/name cachet around Altec creating the price premium? I'm a long time Klipsch owner but i'm new to the Altec/Hi Eff diy world.

I'm afraid to ask this question on the Altec groups i visit, haha.

Thanks,
Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Horn Drivers & Phragms - Alternatives to Altec? - EL Cheapo 11:11:12 06/17/21 (26)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.