Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Start up of Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp WW2 Hellcat engine

Eep

I'll have to check that out when I get my amp off the bench. Back in WW2 my uncle was in an engineering bridge outfit connected with Paton following the D-Day invasion. He was on a truck with a 50 cal. Brockway on a ring mount on it, and one day he had anti-aircraft gunner duty while the other guy had ammunition duty. They were trained to listen to the sound of the aircraft engines, and the German engines were rougher sounding than ours, "kind of like a truck engine" he said. He spotted a plane just below the tree tops and it had the right sound or so, but it fired some rockets at a convoy on the ground. As the plane rose above the tree tops he fired the Brockway and saw the tracers go into the belly of an american P47 Thunderbolt! Our planes didn't have rockets at that time, but they told him he was going to the brig. He said "Where you going to put me, there's nothing but Germans around here!". So they took him back to what was headquarters, and there were a couple of German prisoners already sitting there. It seems that they were in the P47 he shot down, it had been captured some how and the Germans took the radio out of the area behind the pilot seat so it could carry two people, and they had rigged it up with some of their rockets. Also we had high octane gas which the Germans never did, and they never did figure out why all of a sudden our planes seemed to have more power than before. If the Germans had gassed up the captured P47 with their gas it would have likely sounded a bit different too.

The Double Wasp did duty after the war in the TWA Constellation where it was not so popular as it left oil trails on the wings of the Conny I've heard. In the original Airport comedy movie they are in a jet airliner but when they cut to outside scenes of the plane flying you hear the very sonorous tones of what sounds like an 18 cylinder Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp for comic effect.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.