Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: "the less a transducer travels generating waveforms the 'faster' it is"

The usual explanation for why some speakers sound "faster" than others is a good one, that a speaker with a lower Q will sound faster because the bass rolls off more than a higher Q woofer. Thus, the lower Q woofer is reproducing more treble, which of course is of higher frequency and will naturally sound "faster" than the high Q woofer which is reproducing more bass.

Now try something like this. I ran a 100 hz sine wave from a frequency generator through a high Q (0.9 if I remember correctly), aluminum cone subwoofer cone and the same 100 hz signal through a Lowther DX4. The 100 hz frequency is below the breakup modes of both the Lowther and that aluminum cone woofer, and certainly should be well within the frequency range that is reproducible by the subwoofer cone. But the 100 hz sinewave signal through the Lowther sounded a lot clearer than it did through the aluminum cone subwoofer. This experiment is not hard to do. If you don't have a Lowther, than any low Q midrange driver would work.

This difference is real, but what engineering principal would you call this? I don't know what to call it, but I think that this is what people label fast versus slow.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.