Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: "superior/seamless midrange"

Can I presume that you were never swooned by the wonderful prose by the late Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg who raved about the sound of directly heated triodes? It is hard not to at least be infected by his passion on the issue, even if you never bought into his poetic claims.

The distortion of DHT amps is low provided that the speakers are sufficiently efficient. I use 300B amps on Lowthers in front waveguides, which I suspect are over 100 db efficient. I do use sand amps below 500 hz for the woofer (Bryston) and subwoofer (Hafler), so I am inbetween I guess.

I tried my Hafler P7000 on the Lowthers and removed it as fast as I put it in, and it certainly was NOT because the Hafler was lower in distortion... What a God awful sound that combination made, sheeesh. I would like to try a First Watt amp at some point. I have read the comments of many who prefer their SE amps to the First Watt amps, but there are also many who do like the combination.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.