Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Front horns: FR cone vs. comp driver

I recently had Lowther DX4 drivers in conical front horns. This was a temporary set-up using cardboard for horn walls. The frequency response was fairly flat from 500 hz to 10k hz. I straightened the whizzer, which improved the high frequencies and added a large mushroom diffuser which improved the power response of the high frequencies. The sound was outstanding. Unfortunately, the makeshift diffuser mounting device I made damaged the speaker and I will need to order new cone replacements.

In the meantime I used a compression driver with the woofer from a set of minimonitor woofers, but this setup does not have the magic of the Lowthers, but it is a makeshift system which could be part of the problem.

A fellow audiophile shared the results of a comparison at an audio gathering between Lowthers in front horns and an Bruce Edgar horn system, and most of the audiophiles preferred the Lowthers.

On DIY audio, a comparison between small, wide range cone drivers and compression drivers showed that the small, full range cones reproduced sound with less distortion.

For small venues where less output is needed, I would think that cone drivers are the better option.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.