Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: High efficiency loudspeaker options

I really like the liveliness, immediacy and lower volume dynamics of high efficiency horn and single driver systems. But, particularly with single driver systems, this comes with a ragged frequency response, peaks somewhere in the upper midrange/treble and a tonal balance which is not natural. Still, there are some that successfully minimize these problems and overall, I like them.

Voxativ makes decent sounding full-range systems, and other manufacturers have used their drivers in good systems as well.

Cube Audio makes the Nenuphar that sounds decent too. I've heard the model with the 10" full range driver. It does have a pronounced peak and not much in the way of deep bass, but, it sounds pretty good with most music except large-scale classical orchestral works.

The single driver systems I really like are made by Charney Audio. These have no big faults at all, except if you insist on very deep and tight bass. These speakers are smooth, tonally balanced, rich, dynamic and deliver the music in a very enjoyable fashion. They offer a variety of full-range drivers in their various models; I've heard their "Companion" model with Voxativ and AER drivers (both sound good, I like the AER a little bit more).

I like certain horn systems a lot. Many such systems sound good in small rooms, but, unfortunately, the better ones are extremely large in size. Many of the good sounding commercial horn systems are crazy expensive, and likewise, custom-built systems are also expensive. To me, most of the commercial horn systems, like the Volti speakers, are okay, but not outstanding.

While not extremely efficient, Audio Note speakers present an easy load that makes them suitable for use with low-powered amps. The price range is pretty wide, which means that there is a good chance one of these two-way systems would fit the budget. They all simply play music in an enjoyable fashion. There are enough dealers around to make this a must-audition line.

At a somewhat sane price level, I like what I heard at a show form the Tekton Double Impacts. For $3,000 a pair, these really deliver good sound and work with low-powered amps. At the same price point, the Rethm Bhaava is another speaker that sounds really good (high efficiency midrange/tweeter with a self-powered woofer).

Good luck in your search.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.