Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Art Dudley at Stereophile has died.

More sad news.

Art and Herb Reichert were our men at Stereophile, with Art's passing leaving only Herb to provide an antidote to the Knights of the Soundstage who have tended to dominate the high end audio scene after the disappearance of Audio magazine, and especially Sound Practices too. Art's previous Listener magazine had a run where it provided a viable alternative to the scene of $100,000 turntables and "one seat wonder" speaker pairs which required head clamps to get you in the particular position where you could hear some kind of absolute sound. Not that many in what became the mainstream audio press seemed to notice the absence of these head clamps in the audience at actual symphony orchestra performances. Back in the day I sent a letter to Listener magazine protesting some of Art's comments describing Art's comments on the interviewer Terry Gross of her show featuring Gene Simmons of the band Kiss. Art printed the letter and we had several amusing email exchanges, some speculating on what would typically be Simmons's chosen audio speakers. Art picked some ridiculous multi driver direct radiator floor standers, "for obvious reasons", I can't remember what I picked. Many of Art's columns in Stereophile covered many audio classic pieces of equipment including the Rek-O-Kut turntable and even a "room bound" test of the Klipschorn. Back in the day at the beginning of Stereo Review magazine (thanks Freddy!) the three most important audio breakthroughs were considered: the electro-static speakers; the acoustic suspension designs; and the Klipschorn. Horns took a downturn during the dominance of transistor amps (with large amounts of negative feedback) and did't really make a comeback until Sound Practices appeared in the 90's. Anyway Art and Herb have made Stereophile readable for me, and Art's columns will be sorely missed.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Art Dudley at Stereophile has died. - Paul Eizik 21:12:23 04/14/20 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.