Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Hard, honky horn speakers

Despite the ire this subject may cause, I do have a serious question. What is the reason horns sound hard and honky sometimes? I know many people like them a lot and swear by them, but for me, their colorations are not acceptable.

My experience is with a number of well-regarded horn speakers. I have owned Klipsch Cornwalls and Klipschorns, Altec Model 19s and have heard LaScalas and some very large ElectroVoice horn speakers. I have not heard Edgar Horns or any of the offerings o from Avantgarde. They are way too expensive for me anyway.

The ElectroVoice speakers are used in a record store I frequent. Whenever I walk in front of them, I nearly have to cover my ears--the sound they produce is pain-enducing, penetrating and hurts! I would not say they were laying at an excessive level.

The Klipsch models I have owned or heard were less penetrating and painful than the old EVs, but still produced very colored sound that was too forward and hard on many recordings.

The Altec Model 19s were the best-sounding horn speakers I have owned. They seemed to me far less hard and more natural-sounding than anything else I have heard.

One thing I do love about this type of speaker is the clarity they have at low volume. This can be quite striking in a pleasant way.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Hard, honky horn speakers - George S. Roland 23:04:11 11/04/18 (58)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.