High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: From Sublime to Ridiculous

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Current measurements of current loudspeakers do not support your conclusion.

Furthermore, I am constantly amazed at people who obsess themselves with products they cannot afford and have no intention of considering if they could afford them. The five-figure and six-figure loudspeakers of the world are not intended for most buyers. I am astounded that I have to say that out loud.

A good deal of these megabuck audio products are purchased by the world's most renowned sound engineers who have the career success to afford them and are not deaf, the rest by the wealthy who, as F. Scott Fitzgerald famously wrote in "The Great Gatsby", "are not the same as you and me".

Prices are set by manufacturers to reflect the R&D and the expected sales volume, which in the case of many of these products, number less than 10 copies worldwide. The technology trickles down to the point where the affordable speakers we buy today were once the tech of the megabuck speakers of a decade ago, now selling in volumes commensurate with a lower price point.

That is not a bad thing.

I fail to see the problem. I do wish I had your life, where you have no problems of your own to fuss over and can instead solve the problems of the stupendously wealthy. Try to get a consultant's fee, as that's clearly your business; and then justify your client's spending that money on what amounts to nothing at all, surely a poorer value than getting some music out of the deal.

Unlike most people on Earth, I have had the privilege of speaking directly with Mr Paul Klipsch, a rare privilege indeed as he was somewhat a recluse. You do not need to educate me on his philosophy and approach to loudspeaker design. He was a proponent of low distortion horn loaded systems, but recognized that a piston cone woofer can offer low distortion under the right circumstances, and incorporated such in his otherwise horn loaded offerings. We have six decades of applied research since the Heresy was introduced to help us achieve better results. And yes, I do have and have read every "Dope from Hope" newsletter that came out of his Arkansas office.

And I can say confidently that you are misrepresenting his feelings about the subject, not to mention taking an easy shot at the original 901, (not even the moderately linear Series III model, the first one to actually gain a favourable review in the audio press and which incorporated proprietary drivers).

The first 901 was a terrible speaker overall that was not even Dr. Bose's own idea; he bought what became the Bose Corporation's flagship product and founding audio offering from another, as a revenue stream investment for retirement. Which he did quite nicely.

Edits: 05/24/17   05/24/17   05/24/17   05/24/17   05/24/17   05/24/17   05/24/17   05/24/17   05/24/17

Follow Ups: