High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: "IM distortion almost as bad as the orginal Bose 901"...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

It's my position on all speakers that use 8" driver as a direct radiator WOOFER, whether sealed, ported, or open baffle, since a 41 Hz. bass would cause severe FM and AM distortion at 2 Khz, where the $50,000 speakers cited. Horn loading would drop that type of distortion by 15-25 db but would also limit the bandwidth, which would further reduce distortion. Back loaded horns being the exception, since the bass is extended by the horn and NOT over excursion by the driver being EQ'd down low. A reasonable compromise by many.

I pair of popular "studio monitors" which have an 8" mid woofer and 1" tweeter.but I use them for computer speakers, not for a main system.

Since in my application is bandwidth limited to the upper vocal range and PWK's IM distortion measurements on the drivers included a bass signal, I'm bypassing those issues. Besides I don't intend to listent to my resultant OB speakers at the same SPL as my all horn system.

To quote the late Gene Czerwinski of Cerwin-Vega vame: "Loud is beautiful, if it's clean!"

Which is why I listen to direct radiators at 75-80 db at my sweet spot and 85-90 db with my all horn setup.

My tapped horn sub bass is 3 db down at 18 Hz. and coupled to Danley Synergy horn's dual 12" woofer, crossed at 40 Hz. Together they run flat to 200 Hz. bass detail that is hard to believe, allowing every not to be tracked distinctly and to realize what kind of beater or sticks the drummers use.

People who try to use a single 8" driver from 40-2,000 Hz. are subject to a glaring reminder of the laws of physics. they are also missing over an octave of additional information down below.

Even the venerable Klipschorns need a subwoofer.

Edits: 05/20/17   05/20/17

Follow Ups: