High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: "IM distortion almost as bad as the orginal Bose 901"...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

It's my position on all speakers that use 8" driver as a direct radiator WOOFER, whether sealed, ported, or open baffle, since a 41 Hz. bass would cause severe FM and AM distortion at 2 Khz, where the $50,000 speakers cited. Horn loading would drop that type of distortion by 15-25 db but would also limit the bandwidth, which would further reduce distortion.

I pair of popular "studio monitors" which have an 8" mid woofer and 1" tweeter.but I use them for computer speakers, not for a main system.

Since in my application is bandwidth limited to the upper vocal range and PWK's IM distortion measurements on the drivers included a bass signal, I'm bypassing those issues. Besides I don't intend to listent to my resultant OB speakers at the same SPL as my all horn system.

To quote the late Gene Czerwinski of Cerwin-Vega vame: "Loud is beautiful, if it's clean!"

Which is why I listen to direct radiators at 75-80 db at my sweet spot and 85-90 db with my all horn setup.

My tapped horn sub bass is 3 db down at 18 Hz. and flat to 200 Hz. People who try to use a single 8" driver from 40-2,000 Hz. are subject to a glaring reminder of the laws of physics.

Follow Ups: