High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: Why do line arrays using directional speakers require shorter lines for similar near field performance?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Hello Tom:

Glad to have you join in. Linear arrays can be messy audio affairs especially the longer they get. It seems that itīs the ease of mounting and dismounting as well as the alledged ease of coverage that has kept them in the business. I for my needs went with a "linear array" but a DIY using logarithmic horns. Because of itīs efficiency I can limit the column length to just 4 cabs. It really functions more like a point source because of the nature of horns combining their output and the limited number of cabs limiting time smear. Some of the idea came from one of your patents. Sound source having a plurality of drivers operating from a virtual point US4845759A.
The Ureda article quoted in your "Why Danley does not build linear arrays" article was very useful in designing the exit angle of the horn cabs. A common mistake in stackable horn cabs is to have too great a vertical exit angle which can cause lobbing problems in the MR and more so in the HF.
In regards to the topic in question your reply "Line sources produce a forward beam which is a summed form of the forward radiation of each source." So theoretically the more the forward radiation of each cab the stronger the beam the longer the nearfield. Kind of reminds me of pushing back the critical distance in reverberant rooms by using more directional speakers !!

Thanks for the input

Rafaro

Follow Ups: