High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: Tasteful finish for baby Classic horn ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

thanks to a great builder (Triticum Audoi) I have pairs of the K's below. As drawn by GregB, the Karlsonator12 is tuned to 37Hz - I'm not sure how to raise tuning other than maybe making it a couple of inches shorter in height. XRK971 could look at ways to raise Fb in the Karlsonator so I'll ask. I think Karlsonator 8 is tuned to 42Hz, which would be reasonable for some 8 inch speakers

The little 0.62 scale K15 probably has tuning around 70 and is tuned by "ear" with Beta10cx. When I reduced the vent area below what is shown, the graph showed no improvement in the lows with that 10" coax, little change in the 100Hz-200Hz area on a graph - but subjectively, it lost all its punch. If it had a more lively 10cx then Beta10cx, then it would probably whip my horn on things like bowed and plucked bass. Sitting on the floor and near a back wall, Beta10cx is too strong in the 100-200Hz area with the 0.62 scale K15. I intend sometime to add a subwoofer.

If I cam feel better, I'll try to get on the ball a bit and do more measuring and subjective trials.

these are mine - one mini-K15 is loaded with FE206EN - I need to pull Beta10cx from the Karlsonator12 and try a different 12CX with more midrange sensitivity than Beta10cx. I have an old Beyma 12cx in a slit vent Karlson 12 and if can get the crossover decent, then that will sound pretty darn good and maybe better than the Eminence stuff although the 80oz magnet Eminence 12cx are pretty good. Even the 109oz magnet 12CX sounded good - but less sensitive as has more coil overhang and a 4 inch coil.

Karlson Evangelist

Follow Ups: