High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: Tasteful finish for baby Classic horn ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

- well - the Karlsonator 8 has a tuning of ~42Hz and Karlsonator 12 ~37Hz, so with some drivers, will reach down to tuning. I ran Beta10cx in the Karlsonator10 but thought it was lackluster in the mids compared to some fullrange speakers - that might have partly been Eminence's crossover of 2mH/10uF lowpass, 3.3uF/0.33mH highpass. The "Osprey" crossover might work better.

if you have drivers in mind, then ask (or I will ask) xrk971 at Diyaudio to simulate them in a Karlsonator - he'll adjust the height and width to optimize response in his Akabak model. I think that model works pretty well - maybe better than his K15 model.

with a subwoofer I could be happy with the heritage Karlsons such as K12 with a Kappa 12a or similar woofer or high quality coax. It could be built as an "X12" with internal K-tube mounted on the board above the baffle.

here's Beta10cx in a tiny "K10" (~0.62 scale K15) versus Beta10cx in the ~ 6 cubic foot Karlsonator 12. The Karlsonator 12 went lower in this same room in a different position and four feet off the floor.

The little (a bit less than 2 cubic feet) K10 cabinet has klobbering gain in the 100-200Hz octave and needs to be elevated or pulled back. It should play nice outdoors.

Karlsonator12/Beta10cx

0.62 scaled K15 Beta10cx

Karlson Evangelist

Edits: 03/26/17

Follow Ups: