High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

There are two problems, and its not the speaker !!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

There are two problems I see, overall, with SETs and high efficiency speakers.

The first is, about 99% of the SETs have poor power supplies, in design and in wiring - so they all play non-dynamic. Also, about 99% of the SETs have a very poor high-end response, because the SET amp designer is unaware how to ( the usual case), or unwilling to spend the money, to GET a great high end response.

The SET "idea" is FINE, a match made in heaven for 98 Db and higher speakers, but the SET implementations MOST people use.... simply put, sucks big time.

It IS possible for a SET to be dynamic and have good highs, but unfortunately, most are sorely lacking versus whats possible.

The second problem is, very few high efficiency speakers are properly wired, from inside the SET amp that drives it, all the way through to the voice coil.

Because of the two problems, identified above, people are " forced " to go to push - pull ( 6AQ5s, 6550s etc ) or solid state,

In reality, if the two problems were THOUGHT about, and fixed, there is no need for more than a 3 Watt 2A3 amp, ( say a modern JJ 2A3-40 implementation ), on any WELL designed High Efficiency speaker system. That is exactly what I use on A7-800 VOTTs.

Well, there you have it in a nutshell. Have fun, I do !!

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 02/23/17   02/23/17   02/24/17

Follow Ups: