High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

how many real world watts can a 20w ribbon tweeter take?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

i've never been able to find an answer to this question. i'm looking to build 95dB 8" celestion based two ways with ribbon/AMT/planar tweeters, but i also see that, especially with ribbons, good luck finding anything rated over 30w, but i've seen smaller fountek/aurum cantus tweeters in 100-200w rated speakers like the ones linked to below though i imagine the tweeters are padded down to match the woofer efficiency, so i don't believe the ratings directly apply to power ratings in a system, but continuous test tones. besides that, i've also seen compression drivers with similarly low ratings where it's expected that a PA speaker should at least handle 200w.

it seems like my "best option" is to just go with a more durable AMT and deal with a high 3,500Hz crossover right in the midrange where one doesn't want one if it can be avoided.

can anyone help clarify this. i'd like to find a 95dB+ ribbon that can be biamped at 2,000Hz and take at least "100 (system) watts" preferably with 3dB headroom as i'm building a high output system i'd like to be able to hit at least 115dB with. i seriously doubt everyone that owns speakers with ribbon tweeters is only feeding them 20 watts. i'm interested in the fountek neo 2s & 3s. i want a system that can do cowbells with wide dispersion and without horn shriek/sizzle.

Edits: 02/20/17   02/20/17   02/20/17

Follow Ups: