High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

that is pretty minimalist for sure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

at least they didn't use a piezo tweeter.

i wouldn't expect "top of the line innards" for $100 a pair. the lack of a full crossover is a little disappointing, but then again, even some expen$ive "high end" speakers like proac response minis have full range woofers with 6dB caps on their tweeters. it could be considered a minimalist crossover system and full 12dB+ passive crossovers add their own distortions in speakers too.

i'm not encouraged by the peek inside, but don't consider it a deal breaker either as the owner claimed above average sound which matches my conclusion from the behringer shootout.

i REALLY wish i'd bought another pair of the proels which disappeared really quickly. it's possible that MCM only had 8 of them to get rid of as there were # of 8 tags on mine. they're NOT "$50 speakers" by any stretch! i bet the woofers alone cost that. they weigh a ton for their size telling me there's a lot of magnet in there. i just hooked 'em back up last night and was again impressed by their ease and clarity if no bass extension.

the only other option if i don't get the rockvilles would be to build a fiberglass system from scratch which would end up much more expensive, but allow me to use better parts too.

still $100 for a pair is not a lot of scratch, especially when 8" lightweight passives are so rare. i need time to both reflect and build my finances as i've just been hit by another setback.

Edits: 02/03/17

Follow Ups: