Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

No.... and, yes.

The patterns, intensity, and spectral content of room reflections increase LINEARLY as the SPL coming out of the speakers goes up. So, from the standpoint of acoustics, room effects are NOT level-dependent.

From the standpoint if psychoacoustics, it's often a different story.

You see, the ear often has a NON-LINEAR perception of linear phenomena. If a reflection or distortion lies below the ear's detection threshold, it is of negligible consequence. But particularly if it is an objectionable reflection or distortion, as the volume level goes up, the ear/brain system has an increasingly unpleasant reaction to it.

So it SOUNDS LIKE the relative amount of distortion is increasing as we go up in SPL, but what's really happening is, the ear/brain system is having a NON-LINEAR PERCEPTION of whatever the distortion is.

Diffraction horns can be offenders in this area, introducing a type of distortion of which the ear has a non-linear perception. So it can sound like the system is distorting and getting harsh as you go up in level, but it's really the ear's perception of a linear distortion that is changing with level.

Duke

Me being a dealer makes you leery?? It gets worse... I'm a manufacturer too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.