In Reply to: RE: Analog ? posted by Head_Unit on June 5, 2017 at 13:10:27:
Yup of course it's a typo. I'm writing from my phone, sometimes while I'm in the public transports :) sorry about that. Of course I meant that my preamp has two outputs, one that feeds the mid/high amp full range, the second feeds the bass amp trough an active crossover.
I appreciate your concern, however I believe I have found a very decent compromise here. The only thing I might wanna do is play with a steeper crossover on the low pass, to hear the difference, but driver integration isn't really an issue so far (probably due to the lowish 400Hz xover frequency.
At some point I might wanna try the HD version of the miniDSP but somehow going digital freaks me out.
I chose a 100hz corner frequency on the high pass (capacitor) to not mess with the passive crossover slope + natural horn/driver roll-off.
I put the 6ohm resistor on the woofer crossover leg as recommended by the designer of the network I'm using (ALK engineering "universal", original version)
Apparently doing so allows the crossover to keep presenting a flat 8ohm load to the amplifier. I'm no crossover specialist so cannot comment on that, however those were expensive networks and I don't wanna take them apart or mess with them.
If there is a loss of headroom I really can't hear it (especially since I filtered the <<100Hz frequencies out). I would have the police at my door before my 8watts driving the mids-high starts clipping!
Now I understand, it's all compromise and a work in progress. But it sounds great. Just have a 150Hz bump that is due to the bass horns used (peavey FH1) and that I would like to tame down - subject of this post.
One day I will go for fully active - "the right way" when funds allow me to get something that sounds as good as my preamp does. Anything that makes the sound grainy, hazy, grey - like a lot of cheaper opamp based designs- is a big no-no to my ears. :)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - A stupid question... - KanedaK 18:03:13 06/02/17 (25)
- One More Thought - Inmate51 07:38:35 06/06/17 (4)
- RE: One More Thought - KanedaK 10:29:21 06/06/17 (3)
- Not a stupid question. - Inmate51 20:34:58 06/03/17 (3)
- Well said~nT - Cleantimestream 01:13:52 06/06/17 (2)
- RE: A stupid question... - merdy 15:24:43 06/03/17 (0)
- RE: A stupid question... - Coytee 15:09:06 06/03/17 (1)
- RE: A stupid question... - Scott L 11:18:42 06/04/17 (0)
- Analog ? - djk 13:23:25 06/03/17 (11)
- RE: Analog ? - KanedaK 01:53:40 06/05/17 (7)
- RE: Analog ? - Head_Unit 13:10:27 06/05/17 (5)
- RE: Analog ? - KanedaK 01:02:29 06/06/17 (4)
- RE: Analog ? - firstname.lastname@example.org 08:22:52 06/05/17 (0)
- RE: Analog ? - email@example.com 09:48:09 06/04/17 (2)
- RE: A stupid question... - Scott L 05:39:04 06/03/17 (0)