In Reply to: RE: Analog ? posted by KanedaK on June 5, 2017 at 01:53:40:
Huh? And what speakers are these?
"The power amp feeds the mid-high section of my preamp trough the original 3 way crossover..."
I think this is a typo? I presumed your preamp was feeding two power amps:
- 1st with active lowpass (what frequency/slope/etc?) feeding the woofer horn.
- 2nd running quasi-fullrange (actually with 1st order highpass @ 100 Hz) feeding the original speaker passive crossover which then highpasses the mid at 400 Hz and whatever for the tweeter.
Or did you actually pull out the crossover and put it in series with the...preamp??
As for "Therés a 6 ohms resistor connected to the woofer outputs on the 3 way crossover"
- Is that to not have the crossover leg "open"?
That resistor is just wasting power and reducing headroom, if you could specify/sketch the crossover we could help you disconnect the woofer lowpass section entirely.
As a loudspeaker design engineer, yes, I agree sometimes it can be hard or not really possible to replicate a passive crossover actively, whether via analog or digital.
Howver, I wonder what your 400 Hz highpass network looks like-and if you couldn't simply change your capacitor to 400 Hz and adjust the lowpass for blending. If the mid really needs 12 dB/octave, you could additionally put a capacitor across the input and get a shallow 12 dB (unless the internal capacitor is essentially at the input, unbuffered)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - A stupid question... - KanedaK 18:03:13 06/02/17 (24)
- One More Thought - Inmate51 07:38:35 06/06/17 (3)
- RE: One More Thought - KanedaK 10:29:21 06/06/17 (2)
- Not a stupid question. - Inmate51 20:34:58 06/03/17 (3)
- Well said~nT - Cleantimestream 01:13:52 06/06/17 (2)
- RE: A stupid question... - merdy 15:24:43 06/03/17 (0)
- RE: A stupid question... - Coytee 15:09:06 06/03/17 (1)
- RE: A stupid question... - Scott L 11:18:42 06/04/17 (0)
- Analog ? - djk 13:23:25 06/03/17 (11)
- RE: Analog ? - KanedaK 01:53:40 06/05/17 (7)
- RE: Analog ? - Head_Unit 13:10:27 06/05/17 (5)
- RE: Analog ? - KanedaK 01:02:29 06/06/17 (4)
- RE: Analog ? - email@example.com 08:22:52 06/05/17 (0)
- RE: Analog ? - firstname.lastname@example.org 09:48:09 06/04/17 (2)
- RE: A stupid question... - Scott L 05:39:04 06/03/17 (0)