Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: HR6040 as midhorn with 1" format CD ?

Freddy

Those two fangs with the sickout between shows the Cobraflex is bite'n outside it's job description: "We have a lost child at the concession stand"; ) Either way I would go with a first order series crossover, the mechanical roll off of the 6040 horn and driver plus the high pass cap shows a drop of some 30 dB between 250 and 500 Hz, so why add more parts (and phase shift) than ya need? The little mid bass horn looks good on the graph and goes down to 70 Hz or so. And 70 Hz of horn bass is equal to 30 Hz of monkey coffin bass I've found. Tom Danley showed the Unitys at an AES meet once without the subs, and his recording of fireworks was quite convincing in spite of the limited bass.

As to tweeters, how about a curved array of piezos ala Don Keele's CBT36's? You've been a champion of these things in the past and have been hammering away at them when others like me threw them in the parts box. The problem I had with them is that if you run them with a crossover (though you don't have to) they lose sensitivity and can't keep up with horn mids, but a multiple array would be a different story. They are cheap though, and the rectangular horn type doesn't sound bad as I recall. You could buy a lot of them for what one EVT35/350 would cost nowadays, and who knows when Great Plains will solve the problem of sourcing the phenolic base for the diaphragms?

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: HR6040 as midhorn with 1" format CD ? - Paul Eizik 10:56:13 05/08/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.