Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Help Needed Selecting The Right Hi-Efficiency Subwoofer

Hi Tom

The pic of your Beauhorn Virtuosos here would't open on my Mac. A web search turned up Thorsten Loesch's Enjoy the Music review of them from way back in 2000 which shows them with a tweeter. Are you running a tweet, and which one? Perhaps you can comment on the on-going criticism of the Loather drivers having an issue in the upper end, or perhaps not if this is addressed in some way.

As to addressing the bottom end, I've heard Tom Danly's Lab Horn and Tapped Horn subs both demo'd on the same system: an all horn HT rig with a total of 800 Watts. I had previously considered building a horn loaded sub, maybe a clone of the Edgarhorn Titan sub, or even a horn which used the spaces between the joists of the floor in my basement listening room for some of the horn length which would exhaust into a corner of the room forming the mouth. As I live in a 120 year old wood frame house I decided against building a horn sub. Think about it! Things which may sound impressive in a movie theater will sound utterly real in an old house with a horn sub! I've heard these things literally shake the house they are in! So proceed very carefully! Do you live in a brick house? Consider your WAF situation too. I haven't heard Bill Fitzmaurice's or Ed Schilling's horn subs.

Hope your eBay nightmare worked out eventually. How's Paul Butterfield doing? Tell him we miss his fantastic yarns and expertise here. Still listening to his Grinning In Your Face demo CD from the Midwest Audiofest '02.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Audio Hoarder  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.