Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: and a lot of lobing.

Tom,

I know that article is about 5 years old, but it says a lot for the line array vs. point source argument. I actually recommend that someone at your shop revisit that article for grammar/spelling and reducing a little wordiness, condensing it down a bit further--but keeping the excellent figures and their textual explanations. I think that might induce more people to read it. I found it most convincing, but I had to keep myself reading it to get to the end.

I know many others have mentioned the line array problem and how bad they actually sound in real life. A bunch of guys that I know have been looking for the reasons "why not line arrays" and "why point sources" to help focus on point source horn designs. That article has the meat for the big venue commercial sound crowd.

What's less known is why the point source design works so well in small rooms. I'm not sure that I've seen you clearly enumerate why point source loudspeakers designed for the large venues also do so well in small rooms. That would be an interesting discussion. There's a story there. Perhaps I'll break tradition and start a thread on that subject.

JMTC.

Chris
"As far as the ear can tell, consistently clean and spacious bass can be reproduced only by a driver unit coupled to a horn-type acoustic transformer..."; Jack Dinsdale, May 1974

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.