Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: If you really want to hear what an amp like this can do

Saki

I almost didn't see this because it's tacked on to Alan and Lawrence's discussion ; ) The Fostex T90 is a good tweeter and that's what was used on the BK10 I heard some years back. They are showing the BK20 plus T90 with an L-Pad to match the level of the tweeter (105 dB) to the woofer (96 dB), and they show a single capacitor (1.0 to 1.5 uF) as a simple crossover to limit the low frequency response of the tweeter. I would build it with a first order series crossover which would include an inductor coil to limit the high frequency output of the woofer, which would not be limited with just the single capacitor. So there's room for experimentation. Note that the T90 is shown on a dowel rod sled making it possible to get the woofer and tweeter in phase with each other by moving the tweeter back and forth to find the sweet spot. The speaker won't sound that different "dialed in" like this, but the stereo image will be much tighter with better instrument localization.

If you have a good 2A3 SET amp it should work fine with the BK20's. You don't say much about your amp, and I'm sure you'll get many opinions on that. I heard the BK10's with fairly powerful looking p/p pentode amp, but the BK20's are rated 96 dB and should be adequate for all but loud rock and roll with a 3 Watt 2A3 amp.

Open baffle speakers come in all shapes and sizes but they are at an efficiency disadvantage compared to horns. They are also at a disadvantage in bass performance unless the baffle panel is very large. So with a 3 Watt SET an open baffle would be quite limited and you would likely need a subwoofer.

I'm unfamiliar with the Cinema 10's

Good Luck!

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: If you really want to hear what an amp like this can do - Paul Eizik 10:59:55 04/15/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.