Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

we actually get characteristic timbre from attacks and decays alone. This is old science, and predates stereo

We'd have to be able to do that, because percussion instruments don't do continuous tone. And they all have their own characteristic timbre. Even cymbals of the same type & dimension, but of different make.

We really do pay far less attention to the continuous tones, for those instruments that do them.

Pianos for example don't do continuous tones, it's all attack and decay.

Of course pitch matters, 'If you can't pitch, you can't pitch'. It's how you start, no? Very big effect on what happens next, no?

Knowing this, we ought to require that audio reproduction systems should have matching rise and decay behaviour, and fast enough to boot, too few do. 'Stats do, and they engage with rooms less than other speakers.

The trouble with horns is the steep filters so many need between each driver. Some even need notch filters within their pass band, because they ring. So, their impulse and step response is poor compared to a FR 'stat.

I've heard quite a few 'good' horns including ones with Vitavox drivers and their speed is quite good, but their coherence can not match that of a QUAD FRED (the 63 and on).

My favourite horn was one of the bigger designs by 'Tommy Horning' with most of the range covered by a de-whizzerd Lowther driver. Plus deep bass and treble assistance. IIRC with minimal odd-order filters.

I've known Klipschorns and Lowther based horns since my twenties, I'm now 66. I used to work weekends in Canberra's oldest audio shop.

I find equal temperament eventually tiring, can you tell me why that might be?

I don't do willy waving, but I do like clear informed thinking.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.