Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Horns and high efficiency . what effect ?

Of course on this forum there is polarised support for high efficiency speakers including horns and scepticism of other type of speaker - understandable as most of the posters here (including myself) own these things. Likewise if one goes to the Planar forum, people would generally praise ESLs and criticise horns - again understandably.

However most of what you say about ESLs is simply untrue, at least in relation to the latest Quads. I'm sure other ESLs are equally good or better than Quads.

Like you, I have always discounted Quads as being rather feeble and lacking in bass. However, as a result of a Quad 2905 owner replying to a posting of mine on a completely different subject, I visited his home. I was stunned at the quality of the sound, played at robust levels, in particular the imaging - better than my horns, though both systems need careful speaker placement.

That one audition prompted me into buying a pair. I now have both speakers in my room, each powered by appropriate amps. The horns have 845 monoblocks or Accuphase E-36 Class A and the Quad gollups up the 200 watts from the GamuT. Both are very good systems. Which do I prefer? It's very close - the Quads are undoubtedly better for some music, but the horns are just a tad more "exciting" to listen to on much other music. I'm going to keep the horns, but if I was a classical music fan, I'd keep the Quads.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.