Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: speaker design cookbook

i actually used to have a copy back in the 90s. they used to sell it at radio shack. it's where i learned about thiele small parameter calculations BEFORE the internet and software.

i don't think rehashing what i've already learned is that necessary. i already know what i'm going to do... i'll be using 95dB celestion 8 inch drivers in .8Q acoustic suspension acoustuffed prism shaped chambers (to minimize standing waves) as midbass drivers (and i'm not going to argue about that with port lovers EITHER!) in a triamped system, so i don't have to worry about designing crossovers either.

as to continuous, RMS, peak & #dB headroom ratings, i'm familiar with those concepts too, BUT finding a conversion table for what real world wattage a tweeter is capable of is impossible, and NO-ONE has EVER answered this simple and straightforward question BOTH times i've asked it, but they HAVE changed the subject every way possible.

tweeter RMS ratings are NOT the same as music ratings, as you know, and i've seen many tweeters, like the 50w RMS rated Dayton Audio DC25T-8 (AWESOME tweeter by the way!) being used in speakers like axiom millenia M3Ti which is rated at 175w! RMS is totally useless. THAT is why i'm looking for the "mystery formula" as to WHY tweeters are able to be used in speakers rated at much higher power than their "official ratings". i'm not exactly new to this stuff, but i can't learn information that no-one shares.

as mentioned before too, MANY compression drivers are rated at 30w or less, just like the high efficiency, high fidelity, ribbon based tweeters i want to use, but i seriously doubt anyone is building 30 watt PA speakers!

without an RMS to music calculator, all i can do is rely on my intuition that a 50w ribbon can take 150 or so "real world watts" playing music based on apples & oranges comparisons to dome & compression drivers, but still have reservations as ribbons in particular are notoriously fragile regardless of their ratings.

if you know of any resource that can answer the RMS to music question that i can't seem to find and that no-one else has apparently educated themselves with, i would be HAPPY to do the homework! i've tried and tried, but if there IS an answer to my question, it's buried too deep to be able to find online with keyword searches eg. "tweeter RMS to music power converter".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: speaker design cookbook - thump 00:38:13 03/31/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.