Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Horns and high efficiency . what effect ?

> It's the difference between "They are here" (the musicians that is) with horn speakers, and "You are there" (in the acoustic space but a bit removed from the musicians) with direct radiator speakers,

Well yes to a certain extent if comparing with box mounted conventional drivers. However your case doesn't apply if horns are compared with for example electrostatics. Would you care to try that comparison? I'd suggest the "They are here" effect is as much or more so applicable to ESLs.

Truth is that horn drivers are the same mechanically as conventional drivers - they just don't need to generate so much physical movement to produce the sound we hear. That's a good thing but horns have no other significant advantages. I agree they sound more lifelike than most box speakers, but I'd suggest that ESLs are possibly more lifelike still.

I have Avantgarde horns (the ones voted by Stereophile as "Joint Loudspeaker of the Year") and large panel Quads. After many years thinking that the horns knock the socks of other speakers, I'm now realising that this isn't entirely true. For my listening, I'd suggest that the horns offer a more "exciting" listen (great for non-classical music) but the Quads are faster still and "closer to the original sound" and better for classical music. A generalisation maybe, but that's my take on it as owner of quite pricy examples of both types.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Take Five Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.