Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: cupped hands distortion

My view of a horn system's strengths and weaknesses has not changed much since the Trio Compact days. Oh, I've certainly heard great-sounding horn systems at various trade shows, including several in Munich just a few months ago. (And once again I'm not denying the unique virtues of horn-loaded drivers.) But I've also invariably heard traces of the "cupped hands" colorations and driver-to-driver incoherence that eventually wore me down and out when I owned the original Avantgardes. (I guess I should also note that because of the various phase, time, and frequency-response issues I've already mentioned and the sheer aggregate size of their wavelaunch, horn loudspeakers don't image with great precisionâ€" nor, since they don't disperse their sound hemispherically the way point-source direct-radiators do, do they typically soundstage "outside the box." Although the severity of these problems depends on the design of the horn and the level it is played at, certain horns can be as much the poster children for "six-foot-wide" voices and violins and guitars as vintage planars were.

Jonathan Valin (who has a LOT more experience with horns than i ever will, and, unlike me, he actually LIKES THEM)

again... i still don't see how this ENTIRE effing thread has been HIJACKED with talk about horns when i asked about RIBBON TWEETERS! (which, BTW, at 95dB or more also happen to be HIGH EFFICIENCY, and this isn't the "if you don't like horn tweeters, you suck STFU forum, is it?)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: cupped hands distortion - thump 23:26:18 03/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.