Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: you've never heard of "cupped hands" distortion?

THANK YOU!

ugh! people and their misguided attempts at quibbling with semantics

ANYTHING that changes an original waveform in any way is a form of distortion and, according to the laws of thermodynamics, any attempt (maybe short of direct nerve induction) to reproduce a sound wave will inherently be distorted, simply by SOME energy being converted to heat. the only thing that can be done is to try an minimize distortion as much as possible, BUT that often means little in the audio world where a majority PREFER distortion (that's right, i'm talking about you 90% of bass reflex lovers and your intentional "one note bass" aka TUNED FREQUENCY RESONANCE, phase distortion, timing delays, overhang, port chuffing & loss of woofer control etc.) along with bottleheads who find the warm fuzzy distortions of tube gear comforting.

even as a fan of "minimize all distortion... especially in the time & resonances domain" clinical sound school, still accept that you can get too much of a good thing (resolution) and that it can get too dry and sterile and require some sacrifice of accuracy to lower listening fatigue.

i'm just glad someone else pointed out the "don't look here, there's nothing to see here, nope... no distortion *whistle whistle whistle*" equivocation. there's more to distortion than THD and what *cringe* julian "if it measures well, it sounds well" hirsch has to say.

it gets frustrating trying to hold a discussion with people who "think emotionally" (i'm "afflicted" with a rare logic first, your feelings are irrelevant, personality type) and confuse what "sounds best" to them as being the least distorted.

back to my slight against bass reflex, as an acoustic suspension fan, i love the tight minimally distorted sound of preferable smaller & faster woofers snapping quick and resonance free, BUT, if i truly AM going to be objective, have to admit that even my preferred sound has an inherent form of distortion... namely, decreased bass extension which IS a distortion of the frequency spectrum.

ahhh... the truth... it will set you free and can be quite liberating when you stop thinking with your feelings and start embracing reality. i know... it sounds scary... doesn't it? LOL

Edits: 03/10/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: you've never heard of "cupped hands" distortion? - thump 17:41:32 03/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.