Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: What others to research...Devore, Tannoy, ATC....

Here's the issue - if you put them in a corner the corner has to be a solid wall. Concrete or brick or you have to use a diffuser as in the link below. If your home is like most hotels which uses plaster (at shows very cheap vibrating walls) you will get proounced room boom. The walls sing along with the music. It's why Wes Philips of Stereophile and numerous other love AN speakers at shows like CES where the speakers were set up at the Flamingo - a concrete hotel and why they seem to do merely ok at shows where the walls are flimsy. But even in this Wes Philips article you can see the speakers are out from the walls and yet read his last two paragraphs.

http://www.stereophile.com/ces2009/ongaku_means_ecstasy/index.html#ZAUoBZiVshD4q8Ug.97

In these wooden structures - it makes sense to pull them out into the room. Here in Hong Kong - AN's biggest selling dealer - they have to have the speakers well out into the room and they sound great - just not "as" great as they would if they had good corner placement.

So if you have a wood home - I would simply use the "made" corners.

Lastly, if you ever listen to them at a show - play your own music. Unlike other exhibitors Audio Note plays music they like - not 6 elite recordings on continuous rotation over an entire show of music that makes the speaker sound good. Heck Magnepan chose wimpy recordings at low volume and no one gets to control the music or the level. Some rooms only play gentle female singers at a piano (Diana Krall and Norah Jones on continuous repeat). That's not the case with Audio Note who will play compressed pop to scratchy 30s recordings to Slipknott at stupid levels.

Of course now that I say that the video is of soft music - but there are copyright issues for these video reviewers so AC/DC is a no go.

My other suggestions though are still valid - not everyone is going to like the AN E - the dynamic ease of large horns may be far more attractive to your ears. I have heard the AN E sound very average at shows so I get where people come from when that's what they hear. It's like YG Acoustics which stunk at one show and then at another I felt they were one of the four best! So if a speaker can go from near worst to near best it pens your eyes. Hopefully your nearby dealer can demonstrate them well for you. And perhaps they have a good alternate if it doesn't go well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.