Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

behold, a Raal ribbon DESTROYS a resonant B&C horn

as i was saying in my previous comment, i bet a nickel against the member who CLAIMED horns are lower distortion than ribbons (really?! they why don't 99.9% of speaker manufacturers use horns?) that horns would have resonance issues related to the reflections inherent in horns, and a little bit of research bore that out as seen in the illustration above. i used the B&C waterfall plot because it was the first one i could find. i'm sure if i dug some more, i'd get similar or even worse results from larger horns.

just LOOK as those two waterfall plots! it's not even close! virtually ALL of the raal's resonances are over before even .2 millisecons (it looks closer to .1ms) while the B&C horn's full frequency resonances are still going strong at .7ms with a resonance around 700Hz extending out to about a FULL 3ms and a hideous resonance around 17kHz that extends a full 4.7ms!

so, that right there DESTROYS unequivocally ANY claims that horns are "less distorted" where the raal is something like 8 times faster in JUST the broadband resonances and about 40 times faster when you look at the peak resonance.

i'm glad to see that the physics in my head exactly matches my predictions DESPITE being told i'm full of crap. anyone that could look at those two plots and claim the horn beats the ribbon absolutely can't read a waterfall correctly.

in case anyone would DARE claim i faked the results, here's links to the original sources...

B&C DE980TN-8
http://www.audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-b-c-de980tn-8-compression-driver

Raal 70-10 (i couldn't find any fountek plots)
http://www.raalribbon.com/products_flatfoil_70-10.htm

now if ONLY someone would do a freakin' waterfall plot for the same woofer in both sealed and ported boxes (why hasn't anyone done this?!!!), then i'd have equally compelling evidence that proves what hideous slop ports do to transients, not that port trolls would ever accept THAT evidence either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.