Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

how many real world watts can a 20w ribbon tweeter take?

i've never been able to find an answer to this question. i'm looking to build 95dB 8" celestion based two ways with ribbon/AMT/planar tweeters, but i also see that, especially with ribbons, good luck finding anything rated over 30w, but i've seen smaller fountek/aurum cantus tweeters in 100-200w rated speakers like the ones linked to below though i imagine the tweeters are padded down to match the woofer efficiency, so i don't believe the ratings directly apply to power ratings in a system, but continuous test tones. besides that, i've also seen compression drivers with similarly low ratings where it's expected that a PA speaker should at least handle 200w.

it seems like my "best option" is to just go with a more durable AMT and deal with a high 3,500Hz crossover right in the midrange where one doesn't want one if it can be avoided.

can anyone help clarify this. i'd like to find a 95dB+ ribbon that can be biamped at 2,000Hz and take at least "100 (system) watts" preferably with 3dB headroom as i'm building a high output system i'd like to be able to hit at least 115dB with. i seriously doubt everyone that owns speakers with ribbon tweeters is only feeding them 20 watts. i'm interested in the 30w rated fountek neoX3.0s. i want a system that can do cowbells with wide dispersion and without horn shriek/sizzle.

Edits: 02/20/17 02/20/17 02/20/17 02/20/17 02/20/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - how many real world watts can a 20w ribbon tweeter take? - thump 20:59:01 02/20/17 (40)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.