Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Born on a mountain top....

That song goes back to about 1956, and I was probably still singing it in 1957 when the last edition of Olson's Acoustical Engineering was published. There were many stories about people lending this book out and never seeing it again. By the 70's it had become hoarded secret knowledge, and people would not admit that they even owned it. It was reprinted in the 90's by Ed Dell's group. I dunno if I have this, maybe I do, maybe I don't. Back in '03 or so I asked Bruce Edgar at one of his talks what he thought about David McBean's Horn-response program. He said that he had built a horn which had a resonance which was not predicted in the sim, but which was easily tuned out by raising the horn up a bit from the floor (coincidently the MM8 is pictured on small legs). He had asked David McBean if something like this could be accounted for in the program, but his answer was that the program lacked the dimensional ability to do this. Some years ago there was a lively debate on this august forum concerning D.B. Keele's vs W.M. Leaches methods for designing horns. It was speculated that Horn-response was modeled on Leach's method, but someone pointed out that Horn-response pre-dated Keele's and Leach's horn papers, and it originally existed in some form in Fortran V in the days of room sized computers! I believe that David McBean himself said that Horn-response was based on Olson's Dynamic Analogies. So as to Freddy's original question of whether Horn-response could do a sim of the MM8, it looks like the answer is no, factoring in the acoustical filters of the several chambers pictured in the patent. Horn-response could sim the rear horn of a back loaded horn design as a strait horn though. I believe that David McBean said here some time ago that a double loaded horn (like the second version in the Olson patent) could also be simed in Horn-response as 2 strait horns, but he didn't see the use of it.

All roads lead to Olson!

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.