Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Mellow Monster Mania!

Freddy

You ask the best questions around here! Sometimes questions seem too difficult to answer, but with loud speakers all roads lead back to Olson where more things seem to have been forgotten than have been learned since the great man passed. Of special interest is Fig.8 and 9 in the patent application, and in particular sections 29 and 31 of these two figures which depicts a secondary air chamber following the beginning of the horn throat. This is accompanied by an analogous electrical circuit diagram along with a description in the text which describes the effect of such a chamber in terms of an analogous acoustical capacitance and inductance filter. And I thought I had invented this in the 90's following some experiments with a closed chamber version of Bruce Edgar's "Edgar Gap" described in Speaker Builder! Luckily I didn't waste any time and money trying to patent it. Also of note is that of the 44 references of the patent in later patents by others, all but two were cited by the examiner! There is no mention in the Mellow Monster article by author Roald Dybvig of Olson or the patent, but the Mellow Monster fairly screams OLSON! My Dad built a pair of Mellow Monsters in the early 60's with some 828 mids and T35's on top. Unlike Paul Joppa I never got to hear my first record The Ballad of Davy Crockett on them, as my Dad had an audiophile turntable which wouldn't play 45RPM singles.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.