Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: horn speaker placement

In my temporary new digs, I'm using Six TD-1's in my upstairs system currently. I find that there is negligible difference between 6.1 and 7.1 for movies.

All 6 are turned sideways to get a 60x40 pattern from the horns, which was not the way they were intended for PA use, I know, but they work so well for Hi Fi. So I had to make wedges to make them work at zero angle for their respective elevations from the floor in this horizontal fashion.

The front 2 are angled inwards. Right channel aimed to Left arm of the couch, Left channel aimed towards the Right arm of the couch. The controlled directivity across the entire band is something that all of your designs have in common. This is a preferred characteristic as concluded by JBL listener tests, under Dr. Floyd Toole's leadership. The solid phantom image is a result of that directivity control as well as the phase coherence for a seamless integration of multiple drivers over a wide band.

A pair of SH-50's downstairs, in Stereo, sound fantastic on their own without subwoofers. They EXCEED you published specifications of a 50 Hz. cutoff by easily going down to 40 Hz. in a home environment (cabin gain?). I'm amazed so much well defined bass can come out of such a small horn.

Now the TD-1's upstairs are a bit thin on the bass, BUT, since HT requires subwoofers for the LFE channel, they also work great for concert Blue Rays in full surround, OR, simple 2 channel recordings in 2.2 mode. I can switch between the 2 modes at the touch of a button and any bass deficiency in those old boxes gets compensated by my Yamaha Pre-Pro's YPAO EQ and the front/rear tapped horn subwoofers. which are your present company's TH-50 Proto Serial #3 on rear center wall (2 more factory built TH-50's unused downstairs) and Josh Ricci's OThorn on the front center wall, serving double duty as a "speaker stand" for the Center/voice channel TD-1 used for Blue Ray's only (unused for 2 channel music).

Audio geek/engineer friends who have heard both systems with various 2 channel test recordings (mine and theirs) are simply blown away by the extreme DYNAMICS, imaging, and realism of the output. All have gone home with the upgrade bug after hearing these setups. I'm happy to live with these every day and with a Nelson Pass Aleph J clone for R and L channel duty, I'm no longer looking to upgrade anything as I sit in sonic Nirvana.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.