Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll

Craig,

I was going to say that all you need to do is pull one wire off of the mid and tweeter to take a DC ohms reading so you can't get the two connections mixed up. But I see you already got the readings.

The cap readings are in UF or microfarads on your meter and not DC ohms?

I'm not sure if I would use "settled in" readings or not. For a film and foil cap I use the number that comes up in the first 10 seconds. For an electrolytic it's not really the same when using a digital meter so I also use an old 1950's cap checker with an eye tube like the tuning eye tube on old console radios to zero in on the value.

Ideally the drivers would read pretty much the same but in the real world they really don't. They aren't that far off and when dealing with that low of a resistance other things come into play like how well the meter probe makes a clean resistance free connection to what your measuring so to me it's a judgement call.

If the voice coil got hot from being over driven, some windings could short together but that's just guessing and I'd think if that happened, the driver would be cooked and not working rather than being an ohm or two different. But that is just my an opinion.

If I were you I'd just replace the 2.84 and the 5.7 and not try to second guess the design or if the drivers are bad or if the diaphragms in the tweeters were replaced. Again, just my opinion.

Because the 3 ohm 12W woofer and that mid weren't items that were used in their previous and larger speakers with a 12db per octave xover at their more conventional xover points, I can only assume that they did what they had to do to get the desired result.

The use of 4,8 and 16 ohm drivers like in the Esquires is already pretty unconventional without any added mysteries or "tricks" they used.

Edits: 01/15/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.