Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll

Dave

For a 1st order crossover high pass I'm using the following:

159,155/F(Z)=C

This is where F=the crossover freq. in Hz; z= the driver impedance in Ohms; and C= the capacitor value in uF.

The assumption that the Regal 111 has a 1st order crossover is based on the parts count of two capacitors plus two inductors in the crossover can (hope this is right!).

So for a 3500 Hz high pass with an 8 Ohm driver I get a 5.68 uF cap, and with a 1000 Hz high pass with an 8 Ohm driver I get a 19.89 uF cap.

There were some problems with the online calc I first linked to here as applied to the task at hand. It won't allow you to specify a frequency spread of less than 3 octaves, and when you enter data with a crossover spread of say 2.25 octaves like the Regal 111 has, it changes one of the crossover frequencies to match the 3 octave spread: i.e. if you put in a 1000 Hz mid high pass, it will bump the tweeter high pass up to 8000 Hz with a 2.84 uF cap. I linked to this particular calc because it featured a nice schematic which I hoped would be clear for Craig, but it's definitely from the direct radiator driver persuasion and not useful for mid horns like the one in the Regal if someone (like me) is not paying attention

There still seems to be a mystery here, and we seem to be missing some information.

BTW you didn't think the mid driver was a T25. and you may be right The mid in the Regal has 4 screws on the back, but I have a pic of the T25 showing only 3 screws, on the back and another pic of a T25 showing 4 screws on the front! I have to confess I have never seen a T25 in real life, and it's strange that the driver in the Regal has no badge on the rear like the T35B.

I'm still scratching my head on this one! Maybe someone else has something to add.

Paul.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.