Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Electro-Voice Regal lll

Craig

If the speakers are working (with lows, mids and highs coming out of the appropriate drivers) then definitely listen to them for awhile, you'll at least establish a base to evaluate any changes. I concur with Dave's take on a re-cap in that it may make a difference, or it may not. The Klein MM400 has a capacitance mode from what I see online, but you'll have to unsolder the caps from the circuit to measure them for accuracy, and as the speakers are functional you have to decide if that's worth the trouble. The MM400 doesn't have an inductance function so you won't be able to check the coils for accuracy, but this is likely a non-issue.

Did you disconnect the drivers from the crossover before you measured them with the DMM? If so it looks like your 12W's are indeed 4 Ohm units. The 2.8 uF cap on the bottom end of the mid horn crossover is still puzzling. You would need a circuit resistance of some 55 Ohms to use a cap of that low a value for a 1000 Hz crossover point. Perhaps this resistance can be accounted for in the coil and/or the L-pad circuit to pad the mid horn down. Horn loaded drivers tend to test low with the DC of a multi meter as this type of static measurement does not account for the acoustic resistance of the horn as seen by the driver in operation with a music/test signal. So it would seem that a non-standard impedance was assumed in the design of the crossover for the mid horn circuit, however the tweeter cap is right on the money at 5.7 uF for 3500 Hz with an 8 Ohm driver.

Anyway, how do the speakers sound? If working well they should be a big improvement over the small magnet drivers in that vintage RCA console. Just avoid getting the tweeter and mid too strong with the L-pad adjustments, and the Regals should be comparable or better than many recommended list speakers as Dave observes.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.